Wyoming, Diocese of

<< Back

Wyoming was part of the Missionary District of the Northwest from Oct. 19, 1859, until Oct. 21, 1865, when it came under the jurisdiction of the Missionary District of Colorado and Parts Adjacent. From Oct. 4, 1866, until Oct. 30, 1874, it was part of the Missionary District of Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. On Oct. 30, 1874, the House of Bishops changed it to the Missionary District of Colorado with jurisdiction in Wyoming. On Oct. 14, 1886, the Bishops formed the Missionary District of Wyoming and Idaho, and the 1898 General Convention changed it to the Missionary District of Boise. On Oct. 10, 1907, the House of Bishops formed the Missionary District of Wyoming. The 1967 General Convention made it the Diocese of Wyoming. The primary convention of the diocese was held at St. Matthew's Cathedral, Laramie, on Jan. 30, 1968. The cornerstone of St. Matthew's Cathedral was laid on Sept. 21, 1892, and it was dedicated on Dec. 17, 1896. The Cathedral was consecrated on Aug. 11, 1901. The Diocese of Wyoming includes the entire state of Wyoming.