Spokane, Diocese of

<< Back

On Oct. 13, 1853, the General Convention created the Missionary District of Oregon and Washington Territory. On Oct. 15, 1880, the General Convention divided it into the Missionary District of Oregon and the Missionary District of Washington. On Oct. 20, 1892, the General Convention divided the Missionary District of Washington into the Missionary District of Olympia and the Missionary District of Spokane. The primary convention of the Missionary District of Spokane met June 7, 1893, at All Saints Church, Spokane. The 1898 General Convention added that portion of Idaho lying north of the south line of the County of Idaho to the Missionary District of Spokane. The 1907 General Convention removed all portions of Idaho from the Missionary District of Spokane. The 1935 General Convention added that portion of Idaho known as the Panhandle to the Missionary District of Spokane. On Oct. 20, 1929, three Spokane parishes, All Saints Cathedral, St. Peter's, and St. James', merged to form the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. The primary convention of the Diocese of Spokane met at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist on Nov. 1, 1964. The diocese includes nineteen counties in Washington: Adams, Asotin, Benton, Chelan, Columbia, Douglas, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Kittitas, Lincoln, Okanagan, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, Whitman, and Yakima; and ten counties in Idaho: Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clear Water, Idaho, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone.