South Dakota, Diocese of

<< Back

The House of Bishops established the Missionary District of Dakota in 1868, and in 1871 it established the Missionary District of Niobrara. On Oct. 11, 1883, the House of Bishops divided the Missionary District of Dakota into the Missionary District of North Dakota and the Missionary District of South Dakota. The Missionary District of Niobrara was incorporated into the Missionary District of South Dakota. On Dec. 18, 1889, the Church of St. Augusta, Sioux Falls, was dedicated. It is now known as Calvary Cathedral. The Missionary District of South Dakota did not become a diocese until 1971. The primary convention of the Diocese of South Dakota was held at Trinity Church, Pierre, Sept. 23-26, 1971. See Niobrara Convocation; see Niobrara, Missionary District of.