Episcopal Theological Seminary in Kentucky
Former diocesan seminary. It was founded in 1834 at Lexington by Bishop Benjamin Bosworth Smith to educate clergy for the western frontier. The school was granted a charter on Feb. 24, 1834. It went into a quick decline because of financial troubles in 1837 and controversy between the diocese and Bishop Smith. After 1840, for a short time, it had a nominal existence as a department of Shelby College in Shelbyville, Kentucky. Bishop William Robert Moody reopened the seminary in Sept. 1951 with four students. In its last years it trained students for the diaconate. The final graduation service for the remaining diaconal students was on June 9, 1990.